Re: [SLE] Uh...what's this?
  • From: Christopher Mahmood <ckm@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 20:07:46 -0700
* John (yonaton@xxxxxxx) [030519 17:18]:
> Well excuse the hell out of me! I didn't *know* what to do or what it was or
> why I got them, and asked here about it and not one answer said anything
> about what you just said *should* have been done.

The information you were sent when you subscribed (and asked
politely to read) told you how to contact the list owner when you
encounter problems with the list. I, of course, can't force you to
read that but you probably shouldn't act so shocked when I expect
that you have.

This isn't just some BOFH power trip contrary to what you are
probably thinking. Occasionally very broken mail servers (or
malicious jackasses) start resending list mail back through the lists
after removing all of the headers that would allow the software to
detect the mail loop. That's not what this was but it easily could
have been. The last serious mail loop we had caused almost 10
million messages to be sent in a matter of hours; if one of the
subscribers on that list (it wasn't SLE) had bothered to email one
of the correct contact addresses it would have been stopped in a
matter of minutes instead of hours.

--

-ckm