Re: [SLE] Microsoft to license Unix code(OT)
  • From: Anders Karlsson <anders@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 19 May 2003 20:51:31 +0100
On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 20:33, Marshall Heartley wrote:
> > Loose lips sink ships. :-)
> > It's better to keep silent, and keep the opponent guessing on what
> > your strategy will be.
>
> Change of strategy...is that like changing your story (SCO that is).
> When I asked Ben why he thought that BSD would come under fire, he wrote
> that they (SCO) has changed their story a few times. I wonder is this
> is because of IBM's silence. SCO reminds me of a wounded dog, It is
> injured and is lashing out. If SCO was SOOO worried about the code,
> then they should have said something when they bought UNIX. I'm still
> worried and confused. 8^S I guess that we will have to wait and see
> what happens.

Personally I would not be too worried about the situation. I have a good
idea how anal IP lawyers are and I doubt very much that IBM would have
let anything slip. SCO is playing a game with high stakes, and their
bluff will be called.

I would not lose any sleep over this. IBM can take care of themselves,
and I do not think they will give in to what amounts to blackmail. They
sit on more IP than most (any?) other company in the IT sector.

/Anders