Re: [SLE] Any way to update a console-less SuSE 7.3?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 14:38:02 +0200
On Monday 19 May 2003 14.33, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On Mon, 19 May 2003 14:14:48 +0200
>
> Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I very much suspect he meant DISPLAY= yast2, with a space between =
> > and yast2. This will unset the environment variable DISPLAY for the
> > command only, and not for the rest of the session.
> >
> > DISPLAY=<space>yast2
>
> This shouold cause an error message.

What makes you think that? Naturally I didn't mean you should actually write
the character for less-than, followed by s p a c e, folllowed by the
character for greater than. I just wrote it that way for emphasis, since
spaces have a tendency to disappear in some fonts

> Also, DISPLAY=yast2 will set the local shell variable, DISPLAY, not the
> environment variable. To set an environment variable, you must either
> export a shell variable:
> export DISPLAY
>
> or set it:
> export DISPLAY=yast2

There is no theoretical difference, only a difference in scope. setting a
variable the way you mention will set it for the current shell, and all
programs run from that shell. Setting it the way I mentioned above (and
Philipp, in a previous mail) will set it for the current command only. That
command will see it in its environment array

< Previous Next >