hard disk partitions (SOLVED)
  • From: "Allister Gearon" <al@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 10:46:21 +0100
Hi all,
to recap I had added a second hard disk to my 8.2 machine (as Master on
IDE1), but fdisk could not open it. The hard disk in question was a Maxtor
Diamond Plus 9, 80GB. When I fdisked it:

fdisk /dev/hdc

unable to open /dev/hdc.

Thanks to Mr. Oakley and his suggestion of using;

hwinfo --disk

I could see that the system knew that there was a disk on /dev/hdc, but it
was lacking any information about the disk geometry - and so could not
access it. Next checked the BIOS (after looking up the correct geometry for
my disk on the web), and found that the BIOS was autodetecting it as the
correct model but with the wrong geometry. Even manually entering the
sectors, heads etc. did not help - as the correct geometry result in the
hard disk reporting the disk size as tiny (less than 100MB if I remember
correctly).
However the motherboard manufacturers website mentions that this particular
motherboard (Soltek 75KAV) has problems when an 80GB disk is added to a
Win98 system. Re-install to fix.
So I did, and 8.2 recognised straight away on re-installation. Why it
should do so now when it couldn't before I am not sure, but I suppose it a
combination of the motherboard and BIOS reporting the hard disk geometry
incorrectly to the OS. Not sure. Perhaps someone else has the answer.
Thanks to all those who offered advice,
Cheers
Al

  • No further messages