SuSE upgrade from KDE 3.0.4 to 3.1.1 problem
  • From: Edward Macfarlane Smith <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 22:23:26 +0000
Even though I know from experience that SuSE always screw up upgrades to KDE
(at least the last previous 2 times as well I tried) I thought I'd waited
long enough to try the update for SuSE 8.1. I had upgraded to XFree 4.3
already as I needed that to get 3D acceleration running properly on my Sony
Viao PCG-Z1SP, everything was going nicely. Installed all of KDE 3.1.1, it
started up ok, then I went browsing and found a whole load of web pages just
didn't display right (www.linux.org.uk, www.xinehq.de to name a couple).
Basicly there was no text visible ( a copyright at bottom was ok, but nothing
else), there were a few pages that did seem to work, but it was pretty
unuseable. A serious problem with display fonts of some sort. Having
investiageted a bit I forced it to reinstall qt-3.3.1.1 (that I got when I
downloaded XFree) and now at least it seems to display web pages again ok,
and so far I havent found anything else broken.
Has anyone had it work successfully with the recent packages, or do I need to
do what I've always done in the past and wait until I get the latest version
of SuSE and do a clean install? Must remember to backup my kernel first
though, without the ACPI in 2.4.21-rc1-ac4 my laptop is well screwed, and I
suspect 8.2 isn't that up to date :-)

< Previous Next >