linux client in MS network?
  • From: Andy Stone <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 12:31:47 +0100
Relative newbie here - have been using gnu-linux for a little while now at
home, and have decided to move my workplace machine over now too.
My workplace runs exclusively MS equipment.
I want to integrate my machine with the network so I can exist there fairly
seamlessly.

Would anyone be able to point me to a good, basic, easy to understand tutorial
that I might be able to grasp as a newbie?

Have made a start (suse 8.2 with mostly kde) by using yast to set up my
ethernet card with the same IP info as I had in Win2K. I've added the name
servers that we use to the list.

I can ping other workstations in the network using their host and domain name
which is helpful, but I can't seem to pick up the other machines through
Konq's network browser, and in Konq addressing 'smb:/' just returns either
nothing or an error.

As you can tell I don't really know what I'm doing here, but I'd like to find
out how to get close to the kind of usability the Win users have on the
network. I'm sure its something simple, I've just run out of knowledge and
need to get some more.

BTW I log on to my local machine rather than the network. How can I change
this also?

TIA
Andy

< Previous Next >