Re: [SLE] Installing RPMs - path (newbie)
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 17:13:44 +0200
On Thursday 08 May 2003 17:11, John wrote:
> Like Anders said, you don't rpm -i an .src.rpm, with a src.rpm, in a
> konsole you need to do this (as root)... rpm -rebuild foo.src.rpm , then

Objection! that's not what I said. You can very well do rpm -i on a src.rpm,
it just doesn't mean that you're "installint the rpm", it just means that the
source, patches (if any) and spec file are copied to the /usr/src/packages
tree, where you can fiddle with it, possibly creating a modified rpm.

All I said was that you didn't have to do it over again every time you install
a dependency

--rebuild is of course another option, but then you get an identical rpm to
the one SuSE provides, which usually isn't what you want if you're messing
with the source