Re: [SLE] How to compile SuSE kernel -
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 06 May 2003 02:32:41 +0200
On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 02:28, Minimochi wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I have never compile a kernel before and I try to run
> "make config", "menuconfig", "xconfig" and can't find
> them.
>
> make: *** No rule to make target 'config'. Stop.
>
> Am I missing something?

Undoubtedly

First make sure you have the kernel-source.rpm installed.
then go to the source directory

cd /usr/src/linux

Then you can "make xconfig"

If it's your first time, it's probably a good idea to prepare the
sources first, with something like

make mrproper
make cloneconfig

and only then do "make xconfig". This will configure the sources to
match SuSE's running kernel, so you have a known working configuration
to start from

> Where exactly is the documentation related with kernel
> or it's compilation? How do I know if I have it
> installed?

If you have the kernel-source.rpm installed, the documentation is in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation