Newbie help... cloning a disc. [Serial again...]
  • From: "Adam Kimball" <AKimball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 12:20:48 -0700
Hi all,

Well, I did find a good resource for people with Seagate SATA drives and
Nvidia chipsets, check out:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15875&sid=9231c20499b81d
2c81946df2fe60dd54

Just a couple of quick fixes to get out of PIO mode and move a _bit_
more quickly. Since this machine is intended for work, and I've already
spent the same boring hours doing ClearCase, Oracle, JBoss, etc.. I need
real speed now. I'll wait for better drivers. Today, I'll have a new
Seagate Barracuda IDE drive and what I want to do is clone it.

My guess is that there must be some way to boot into rescue mode, and
make an absolute sector copy of one drive to another. That is, to clone
my serial drive to the ide drive. I really, really, don't want to have
to reinstall everything again (as many of you will surely feel for).

Again, is there some relatively simple way for me to clone the serial
drive to an ide drive? I can't use any low-level dos stuff since I
don't have an acpi driver for the onboard sata, but since suse
recognizes it, there must be a way.

If so, could someone please take the time to spell it out. I get around
Linux fine, but when it comes to the guts, I'm a dentist.

Thanks in advance (please!)
-Adam