Network wont work when gateway is on another subnet.
  • From: webbie <webbie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 21:16:13 +0200 (CEST)

I am trying to set up a box on my connection but it just wont work.
When i have added my details and try to start networking i get this
answer:

ifup-route: Command 'ip route replace to default via 192.168.1.1' returned:
ifup-route: . "RTNETLINK answers: Network is unreachable"
ifup-route: Configuration line: default 192.168.1.1 - -
ifup-route: This needs NOT to be AN ERROR if you set up multiple interfaces.
ifup-route: See 'man 5 routes' how to avoid this warning.

But my ip is 192.168.2.1 (its something else ofcourse but so you get the
idea), it seems that when the gateway is on another subnet, in this case
192.168.2 instead of 192.168.2 it just freaks with that comment.

Im getting kinda annoyed because it works with XP but i want to convince
my grand parents that linux and suse is the right way to go.

What should be done?
Changing ip or gateway ip is not an option, is there something that you
have to do with routes or such?

- Per