Re: [SLE] [Reposted] Installing SuSE onto an XP Box
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 20:36:42 +0200
On Monday 05 May 2003 20:30, Sean Rima wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> I am looking to convert an XP home box to SuSE 8.2. However, I have a few
> problems, namely the fact that the HD is NTFS. So what do I need to do to
> this to make it useable under SuSE

Well, if you're looking to convert the machine, you don't have to do anything.
Simply pop the SuSE installation CD in the drive, and it will turn the
machine into a SuSE machine for you more or less automatically.

If, on the other hand, you want to keep XP around and make the machine a dual
boot, you'll need to repartition it somehow. There are rumours that 8.2 has
experimental support for NTFS resizing, but I haven't tried it. If you do,
make sure you get full backups of all data you want to keep.

Then you may want to create a FAT32 partition, aside from shrinking the NTFS
one and creating a couple of linux partitions, since FAT32 is about the only
file system both XP and SuSE can handle completely.