Kernel compilation
  • From: Mariusz Jurgielewicz <marius@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 05 May 2003 00:17:46 -0700
I am forced to compile kernel. SuSE 8.2 does not work properly on my
machine out of the box. It fails to recognize network adapter and
firewire drives. SuSE support said that network card configuration is
not covered by Installation Support. Anyway I tried to compile kernel
cause I know harware is working I got dual boot with Win2K on this
machine and everything works fine.

I got 2.40.20, plus 2.4.21-rc1 patch, plus ACPI patch from SourceForge.
On my laptop USB 2 did not work until I made ACPI work so I got it just
in case.

1. I did patches, renamed linux-2.4.20 to linux-2.4.21-rc1.
2. I did make mrproper
3. make xconfig did not work I had to change some things in
/drivers/Config in and /drivers/net/Config.in
4. Finally it run but Firewire was copletelly grayed out.
5. I opened SuSE config from /boot/vmlinuz.config
6. No problems with make dep and make bzImage
7. I encountered many problems when I was trying to compile modules. I
did not try to find patches. I disabled ATM, WAN and some IRDA support
just to make it compile.
8. Installed modules, created initrd, duplicated and modified grub
settings
9. Finally I was able to boot. Surprise, network card and firewire work
perfectly but I lost my USB mouse, sound (I guess I had to compile ALSA
separatelly).

Are there any ways to to combine these 2 configurations? Shall I disable
ACPI? I think all my problems are software related because my hardware
works perfectly under Win2K and Knoppix.

< Previous Next >