Re: [SLE] Changing distributions
  • From: Andre Truter <andre.truter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 04 May 2003 13:01:41 +0200
On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 12:32, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Would just like to find out if I can safely install Suse 8.2 over a
> Mandrake 9.0 installation and keep the email and auto-import it into the
> Mozilla/Phoenix mail client?
>
> I should hopefully get Suse 8.2 in the coming week and I cannot afford
> to lose email if I change distributions.
>
> Ideas/Comments?

It depends on you current setup.
If your /home is on it's own partition, then you can install SuSE and
during installation, you make sure that the /home mount point is set to
that partition, and that the partition will not be formatted.
(I did this when I moved from RedHat to SuSE. I kept all my mail and
settings of applications)

If you do not have a separate /home partition, you can just backup your
own home directory (or just the mail folders) and then restore it again
after you installed SuSE.

I assume that you are currently using Mozilla/Phoenix mail client.
HTH

--

Andre Truter
Software Engineer

< The box said: Requires Windows 95 or better... >
< So I installed Linux >

< Previous Next >