Re: [SLE] dynamic network.
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 15:05:08 +0200
On Saturday 03 May 2003 14:59, eja@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> If I do an ifconfig, I can see, that the linux computer has the eth0 IP
> address set to 192.168.1.6, and looking into my router I can see,
> that this address is reserved. The other dynamic addresses are
> assigned to, not reserved. Hope ok ?.

Try forcing your hostname to be sent to the dhcp/dns server by editing
/etc/sysconfig/network/dhcp and changing the variable

DHCLIENT_HOSTNAME_OPTION=""

to contain the name you want to use for your linux box. If you can ping the
windows machines by name that probably means they're sending their hostnames
to the dhcp server which updates the dns server. With the above variable, the
linux box will do the same. Worth a try