Re: [SLE] Got my CDRW/DVD drive
  • From: Adam Daniel <adamd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 12:24:20 +1000
On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 04:26:45PM -0400, John LeMay wrote:
> Just got my Sony CDRW/DVD combo drive in, and I could use some pointers
> in working with it from KDE and from a hardware perspective.

KDE is just the window manager not the OS ..but to get it running nicely on the system, i'd start by using the ide to scsi driver, it'll help for burning as well.

You need to add:

append = "hd(?) = ide-scsi"

to your lilo.conf

hd(?) is the device node for your cdr/dvd (dmesg |grep hd will tell you)

> First, how do I determine the firmware currently on the drive? Any tips
> on updating it if an update is available?

Do you really need to update the firmware? if it aint broke to fix it i say.

Most hardware manufacturers provide firmware updating utils in dos or windows only, so if you've got dual boot you can do it that way.

> Second, my KDE desktop still has the "DVD-ROM" icon for the old device.
> From the YaST2 Hardware Information module I see the device is
> recognised correctly as a "Sony CD-RW/DVD-ROM CRX801E". Do I need to do
> anything else for it to work properly? Should I see a "CD-RW" device on
> the KDE desktop? Trying to add a new device link in KDE only gives me a
> "CD/DVD-ROM" option, no CD-RW. Should there be a CDRW option or does it
> not matter?

A device link is just that. Its just an icon with a name thats a short cut to the drive, it doesn't effect your hardware config at all.
Does it really matter what the name of the icon is? if you right click on it and go to properties you can change what device it points to (if you use the ide-scsi driver it will be /dev/sr0) and icon and maybe even the name.

you don't need a device link for your device to work ..try using the command line more and take a look at the mount command (man mount)

For burning software, take a look at:

kreatecd
koncd
cdbakeoven
xcdroast

kreatecd and cdbakeoven being my favourites

Hope it helps

Adam