Re: [SLE] SLES8

----- Original Message -----
From: "Curtis Rey" <crrey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Dmitry Melekhov" <dm@xxxxxxxxxx>; "suse-linux-e"
<suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2002 2:27 PM
Subject: Re: [SLE] SLES8

On Sunday 24 November 2002 03:00, Dmitry Melekhov wrote:
> SLES8 license? :-)
> http://www.tecchannel.de/betriebssysteme/1073/images/0011589_PIC.gif

Well, that doesn't sound unreasonable at all. Consider the alternative.
What
is the per seat license for Sun or M$ - that ain't cheap. And the joy of
[skip]

OK. Let's compare w2k and sles.
I heared that there were som chamges in MS licensing, so I'm talking
about what was some time ago, sorry.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/production.asp
Microsoft Windows® 2000 Server $1,199 US per server
And I don't need to pay to MS for service packs and patches.
w2k will be supported with service packs and patches for more than a year
:-)
As I understand, I don't need to buy CAL to server for MS SQL or Oracle...

http://www.suse.com/us/business/products/sles/sles_x86/prices.html
SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 for x86
Order no: 2103-3INT US $749.00 incl. 1 year maintenance program for 1 server
And for installing updates I need to buy maintenance (almost the same price
per server as
SLES8 box) for each server/year.

Even in 2 years SLES8 will costs more then w2k per server :-)
Well, you can say that we have to compare SELS8 with w2k as.
Windows 2000 Advanced Server
(With 25 Client Access Licenses) $3,999 US per server

Sorry, I don't need AS features :-)

You get 1 year services and license at a much lower cost than Sun, M$ or
others would do
[skip]
I can't agree

[skip]

However considering
the alternatives and the fact that if SuSE and United Linux are going to
survive they need to have a reliable revenue stream. I would wager that you

This is, definitely, not my problem ;-)

might get more individualized support from SuSE then from, say M$. All
they'll do is send out an MCSE tech and that's when they feel like getting
around to it.

Are you joking? :-)
What are you talking about? I have no support from MS, Suse, Oracle,
whatever else here. There is no non-russian company wich will send
engineers to help me, even for money.

And being open source you may install it on as many machines as you like you
just don't get support for it. In the SLE8 brochure the point out that the
have engineers they can send to you to help you get things setup, either by
augementing an existing system/program/protocal or help you implement your
own in house programs/codes/etc... However, if you have installed SLE8 on
more machines then you bought licenses for do you really thing that they'll
send you a engineer to help you -- if they did that they would go broke
inside of a few months. I don't see anywhere that your forbidden from
install it on other non-licensed machines. I just see where in order to
utilize any support package/contract you have it has to be on a registered
and licensed machine -- as it should be. Just my humble observations.

How can I support (yes! I support our servers, not Suse or MS!) without
updates? :-)
I agree that service costs money. I agree that I have to pay for access to
maintenance web , because Suse package software, test packages
(well, theoretically ;-) ) , certify this pakages for Oracle and other
software.
But I can't see difference between download I these packages for one server
or for 4 servers. Anyway I test this packages and install them and I know
that I'll never even meet with Suse employeers.
There is no _service_ difference have I one login to maintenance web or
four.
Really, $800 per year is acceptable for our company (around 1.5 months my
salary), $800 * 4 servers- definitely not, just because company need to pay
me :-)