Re: [SLE] SLES8
  • From: Curtis Rey <crrey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 04:27:42 -0600
On Sunday 24 November 2002 03:00, Dmitry Melekhov wrote:
> SLES8 license? :-)
> http://www.tecchannel.de/betriebssysteme/1073/images/0011589_PIC.gif

Well, that doesn't sound unreasonable at all. Consider the alternative. What
is the per seat license for Sun or M$ - that ain't cheap. And the joy of
perchasing a M$ server farm is not only expensive but the EULA is very
specific about access to code, and changes made to the system that will void
you contract ( if you haven't read an M$ EULA or looked at the contracts your
in for a real treat). Not to mention that fact that in order to obtain a
license you "must" sign into the Software Assurance Program -- meaning you
locked into buying upgrades when M$ releases them - whether you really need
to or not.

You get 1 year services and license at a much lower cost than Sun, M$ or
others would do, Oracle also has some very fun license agreements - Just ask
the State of California. They were sold more licenses than they wanted or
needed and when they pointed this out Oracle said too bad a deals a deal

I do understand how some feel about per seat licenses. However considering
the alternatives and the fact that if SuSE and United Linux are going to
survive they need to have a reliable revenue stream. I would wager that you
might get more individualized support from SuSE then from, say M$. All
they'll do is send out an MCSE tech and that's when they feel like getting
around to it.

And being open source you may install it on as many machines as you like you
just don't get support for it. In the SLE8 brochure the point out that the
have engineers they can send to you to help you get things setup, either by
augementing an existing system/program/protocal or help you implement your
own in house programs/codes/etc... However, if you have installed SLE8 on
more machines then you bought licenses for do you really thing that they'll
send you a engineer to help you -- if they did that they would go broke
inside of a few months. I don't see anywhere that your forbidden from
install it on other non-licensed machines. I just see where in order to
utilize any support package/contract you have it has to be on a registered
and licensed machine -- as it should be. Just my humble observations.

Cheers, Curtsi

--
Billboard Writer vs. Literature = Micorsoft vs. Computing,