Re: [SLE] SUSE, SCO JUMP ON UNITEDLINUX BANDWAGON
  • From: "Robert Jacobsen" <rjacobsen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:31:49 -0600
<So what is the intent?>

Based on other articles I have read, the idea here is to create a common
Linux base (or kernel) that would contain the same drivers, utilities etc.,
but still allow each company to package Linux in their own way by
including new or current applications that would appeal to certain
Linux users. Also, this would allow users of the various distros to
run the same, for example, accounting package without worrying about
compatibility issues.

This also makes sense for those businesses entering the Linux marketplace.
It gives them a flexibility of choice and also gives the application vendors a
boost in knowing that their application(s) run on multiple distros. Hence,
more sales!

< why would they start another distro to compeat with themselves?>

This is really a great opportunity for failing distros to align themselves with
those distros that are meeting with success i.e. Red Hat and SuSE.

Regards -RJ