Re: [SLE] SLES8
  • From: Dmitry Melekhov <dm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 11:10:05 +0400
Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
On Fri, Nov 22, Dmitry Melekhov wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thorsten Kukuk" <kukuk@xxxxxxx>
To: <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 9:53 PM
Subject: Re: [SLE] SLES8

On Thu, Nov 21, Dmitry Melekhov wrote:

Hello!

What is license for SLES8?
Per server (as for SCO UL-based server) or something else?

Depends if you speak about the medium (you can install as many
servers as you like with one medium) or the updates/maintenace/
support part. The last one is per server (I don't know if there
are special contracts for larger sites, but I think so).

Sorry, I don't understand completely.
Updates(maintenance) is not the same thing as support.
For support one need support contract :-)

And to get the updates and fixes you need a maintenance contract.

No!
At least with SLES7- 1 year maintanance is included with box.
Or I need to get support contract for SLES8?
But why there is price for SLES8 with one year maintenace included with box?

But for updates- not. I can simply download them from maintenance site. This is only software, some GPL covered,
some with anothe license. Anyway, if I can install SLES8 on all my servers ;-) why I can't install updates from maintanance web
if I have login?

You can install them, but if an update breaks your system, you are

Yes, I can install them. But is this license violation or not?

alone and nobody will help you fixing it, even if you find a real bug.

Shure :-)

Sorry, I don't talk about do I need support or not.
I'm talking about _license_.

Could you, as Suse employeer, mail me SLES8 license text?