Re: [SLE] YOU/Manual - what do the various text colors mean (red, blue, black), why are some boxes checked and some not, and what does YOU expect me to do next?
  • From: Johnny Ernst Nielsen <johnny.ernst.nielsen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 07:30:22 +0100
Good day Jeric,

> yes, it is lacking very much, I can't even point the updater to a
> cd, so I have to waste time re-downloading all the updates for each
> box instead of d/l'ing once and burning to cd like i used to (a
> step BACK from yast1 !!).

This is possible.

On the system where you downloaded with YOU, copy the
/var/lib/YaST2/you/i386 directory and the cookies file to your CD.

Then on the computers where you want to use the updates from the CD,
mount the CD, start YaST2's Patch CD Update, select 'directory' as
the source, and point it to the directory containing the i386
directory.

That works for me.

A couple of notes:
The cookies file seems to hold some needed validation information.
Without it YOU will tell you that it can't validate the patches, so
nothing can be updated.

Some patches seem to be in the way of other patches. For instance, you
can not update everything all at once these days. the KDE 3.0.5
security patch will stop the update.
But it's resolvable as YOU lists its actions and you can see at what
patch it stopped.
Just select to _not_ have the offending patch applied at first. Then
go for a second ride where you apply the patches that stopped the
previous update.
A bit tidious, but it works.

Best regards :o)

Johnny :o)