Re: [SLE] HD partition names
  • From: "Michael L. Hallsted" <tbhccs@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:19:34 -0800
thanks for all of the responses...

hmmmm, i really must stop thinking in terms of ms windows,
i have used partition magic many times, but always with
windows, and i knew i always needed a label name.

but i hadn't done anything yet with partition magic
and linux, thinking i should ask the question first.
but, seeing the various answers....

i have 3 hard drives, 15GB,20GB,30GB,cdrom and win98.
i freed up 8GB on C drive and 8GB on E drive.
i was going to put
swap on hdc 512MB
/home on hdc2 primary 7.5GB
/boot on hda2 primary 100MB
/ on hda3 primary 7.9GB

and dual boot win98 and linux

i fired up partition magic v7 to see about the label name.
if i want to make a swap partition, i can not input a label.
if i make an ext2 partition, then i can type in a label name.
the area that assigns a drive letter is greyed out in either
case since that is only a windows thing.

anyway, since it most likely does not matter, i am going to use
label names that will remind me of the purpose of the partition.
and since partition magic allows me a label name, i might as
well make the partitions with a purposeful label.
[ ie. /, boot, home ]

thanks again,
michael hallsted

--