Re: [SLE] partition magic can it and advice?
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 00:02:41 -0500
On Thursday 21 November 2002 23:10 pm, Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> On Thursday 21 November 2002 08:40 pm, Rick Reumann wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:24:42 -0600
> >
> > "Howard Coles Jr." <hcoles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > No, when you shrink the XP partition it will leave empty space.
> > > Leave it empty from PM's view point and then install Linux. SuSE
> > > will come up with what it thinks is a good idea for partitioning,
> > > but I have usually had to go in and change it.
> > > The only two partitions you HAVE to create to install SuSE are the
> > > swap and / (or root) partitons. Then various Linux people have
> > > varying ideas as to how it should be split up from there.

<<< Big Snip>>>

> The second thing is as soon as you get SuSE installed make a recovery
> Floppy. And then, Don't worry, be happy. You can mess up just about
> every stinking thing and there is usually a way to recover.

One thing people may not know (or remember) is that the SuSE install CD
has a 'rescue system' mode on it... so you can boot into a really
healthy rescue system just by booting the install CD and selecting the
rescue system... (at least it is on the DVD cd)

I once had a problem with an Adaptec scsi controller not wanting to work
after I had installed sucessfully... (the infamous timeout errors) and
I was able to boot into the rescue system and do a kernel compile to fix
the problem... Can't get much better of a rescue system than that!

> Wonderful
> thing about Linux. I have blown my machine up so many times (with the
> previous hard drive) it wasn't funny, but somehow there was a way to
> straighten out the mess. With Windoze I usually have to completely
> reinstall, but my last install of SuSE 8.0 had been blown up and
> recovered at least 8 times! not once did I reinstall :D!
> I'm pretty happy with it as you can tell, if I could just get my
> sound card to work properly.
> I did something, but can't for the life of me figure it out.
>
> > > Oh, and just a tip, when you reply, just reply to the list,
> > > otherwise I get two replies, ;-)
> >
> > Sorry about that.
>
> Not a problem with me. Just didn't want you getting in trouble down
> the road.

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 11/21/02
23:59 +
"Give me ambiguity or give me something else."

< Previous Next >