Re: [SLE] partition magic can it and advice?
  • From: "Howard Coles Jr." <hcoles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:10:06 -0600
On Thursday 21 November 2002 08:40 pm, Rick Reumann wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:24:42 -0600
>
> "Howard Coles Jr." <hcoles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > No, when you shrink the XP partition it will leave empty space. Leave
> > it empty from PM's view point and then install Linux. SuSE will come
> > up with what it thinks is a good idea for partitioning, but I have
> > usually had to go in and change it.
> > The only two partitions you HAVE to create to install SuSE are the
> > swap and / (or root) partitons. Then various Linux people have
> > varying ideas as to how it should be split up from there.
>
> Ok thanks. Are you saying though that just doing the SuSE install of
> letting it choose a root and swap is fine? What I'm confused about is if
> I follow some recommendations to set up the other linux partitions /home
> /boot etc., do I have to do that with PM or am I prompted from within
> the SuSE install to do this?

Yea, the great thing about Linux is that you can do it any way you want. IF
you want to let SuSE installer lay out the partitions that's fine, if you
want to tweak it a little and follow some of the other suggestions Linux will
work with that too. Either way, once inside SuSE youwill be hard pressed
to notice the difference.

One person recomended putting /home in a separate partition, and his case is a
good one, as I have learned. If you want to blow away your install, (because
like me your still learning), you can and just not reformat that partition
when you reinstall. Putting /var on its own partition is a good idea because
it houses all of your temp files, and logs and things so if it fills up your
ok. Putting /boot on its own partition is usually a good idea so that if
you need to use the recovery cd-floppy combo its easy to mount. There are
many options. What I would do is start out at your level of experience. If
you know linux pretty well then follow the path of separating out the
partitions, if you are just learning and aren't going to put any critical
files on it, then don't worry about it, just do the simple swap and /
partitions.

The one thing I would recommend is writing down what Linux things is on what
/dev/hdx# partition!! such as / being on /dev/hda2, or /boot being on
/dev/hdb1 etc. etc. So that you'll know what to mount in the event a recover
is needed, and so that if you reinstall you'll know what partition NOT to
format.
The second thing is as soon as you get SuSE installed make a recovery Floppy.
And then, Don't worry, be happy. You can mess up just about every stinking
thing and there is usually a way to recover. Wonderful thing about Linux. I
have blown my machine up so many times (with the previous hard drive) it
wasn't funny, but somehow there was a way to straighten out the mess.
With Windoze I usually have to completely reinstall, but my last install of
SuSE 8.0 had been blown up and recovered at least 8 times! not once did I
reinstall :D!
I'm pretty happy with it as you can tell, if I could just get my sound card
to work properly.
I did something, but can't for the life of me figure it out.

> > Oh, and just a tip, when you reply, just reply to the list, otherwise
> > I get two replies, ;-)
>
> Sorry about that.

Not a problem with me. Just didn't want you getting in trouble down the road.
--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

"The act of faith is the obedience of the understanding to God revealing, and
the product of that is the obedience of the will to God commanding."
Matthew Henry, on Romans 1:5