Re: [SLE] partition magic can it and advice?
  • From: Ole Kofoed Hansen <ole@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 05:07:07 +0100 (CET)
On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Rick Reumann wrote:

> Ok thanks and what about the partition for a fat32 shared folder and
> then the partition to condense XP unto (I hopefully won't have to
> re-install XP). So basically with 40GB how would you recommend I set it
> up? I won't really need a lot of space on windows since it will mostly
> be just for games (although I guess some take up a lot of memory).
> I was thinking
>
> 19 windows
> 6 for shared fat32 (mp3s, and other junk like OpenOffice docs, etc)
> 15 for linux
>
> So then inside the 15 for linux I need to partition them into as you
> mention above. What numbers should I use for that?

With 15 GB for linux, I would suggest:
swap: 0.5 GB or about 2 times your RAM.
/boot: as small as it will let you. (Mine is 23MB, with 4MB used)
/: Around 5 GB should do
/home: Whatever is left.

I forgot to make a partition for /home, so I have that on my / partition
which has 6 GB of stuff on it. About half of it is my /home.

> Also when I install
> linux does it know what partitions to put the different stuff on? (I'm
> too stupid to know what to put in /boot /home etc. so will it do all
> this for me?). I'm afraid I'm getting in over my head here and tomorrow
> is not going to be a fun day:)

Yes, the installer knows what to put where.

Another really nice thing about having a separate /home partition is that
if you decide to try out a totally different distro, you can keep all your
user-settings intact. Just let the /home be when you install a new distro.
Add a user accounts with the same User IDs and you should be all set.

Regards

Ole