Re: [SLE] partition magic can it and advice?
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 21:44:26 -0500
On Thursday 21 November 2002 21:17 pm, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Friday 22 November 2002 03.10, Rick Reumann wrote:
> > If there is a baby step RTFM guide or something
> > to what I'm going to need to do with partition magic and my suse 8.1
> > in so that I can keep XP on one partition and Linux on the other
>
> all you need to do with Partition Magic is to shrink your XP partition
> (if it needs shrinking, that is) and set up the fat32 partition that
> you intend to use for shared data. Leave the rest unpartitioned, and
> the SuSE installer will partition it automagically.
>
> If you intend to set up separate partitions for /home or other
> directories, you can do that from the SuSE installer as well.
> Experience has taught me *not* to use partition magic at all for linux
> partitions.

Hmmmm My opinions are to do just the opposite. Here's what I responded
to another person who asked me off list about my partition sizes.
(opinions included)

Most of my disks are larger than 20GB with the exception of one machine
that has two 18GB disks. I always try to have enough disk space to be
able to install two versions of linux, say SUSE 7.3 and 8.0.

When a new version comes along, I *always* do a new install, never an
update. I've done that for years... When 8.1 came along I decided
"what the H" and did an upgrade... and within a day I was doing a
complete re-install of 8.0. 8.1 didn't work for me and if I had
followed my own rules, I would have avoided a ton of work. I will never
ever update a working installation again. (but I digress)

On my 8.0 System:

Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda6 7131416 3309424 3459728 49% /
/dev/sda5 23302 4651 17448 22% /boot
/dev/sda10 1002886 361883 589195 39% /ftparea
/dev/sdb5 1620736 1073732 464676 70% /home
/dev/sdb7 3072383 2285800 627504 79% /vmware
SWAP 800MB 49MB

The above is in linux 'df' format which will give you an idea of sizes
and of space used but basically:

SWAP on a 768MB ram system I have about 800MB SWAP. Right this minute
I have about 49MB used of swap... and that's using KDE, and StarOffice,
and VMWARE (about 200mb) and two browsers. So for your use, I doubt if
you should have more than that. 500MB would probably do it.

HOME - I have about 1.GB allocated but only 1GB used... and I have a lot
of JPEG files on that and also all the files for a web site or three.
Start with 1GB or even less.

ROOT (/) I would try 5GB and 6GB would be plenty. And with Partition
Magic, you can modify any of the sizes with no big deal if one of them
turns out to be too small.

BOOT - 16MB would be plenty. The original recommendation was for 23...

FTPAREA - Note I have a 1GB partition call FTPAREA. I have found this to
be invaluable for downloading those goodies you want... Opera,
Netscape, OpenOffice... etc. It is 1) a nice depository for things
like this but also, many of the packages you download can be reapplied
to the next version of linux... and they will be available. A nice
place to store things.

Partition Magic is a good tool.... and over the years I have strictly
avoided using the linux tools to make new partitions. Why? Sometimes
Linux can move things around in the partition table that upsets the
Windows world... In otherwords, Linux can break windows. I've seen it
happen. Using PM will avoid this.

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 11/21/02
21:42 +
"Software company's new dress code -- another Law Suit."

< Previous Next >