Re: [SLE] partition magic can it and advice?
  • From: Rick Reumann <maillist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 21:02:02 -0500
On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:39:37 -0500
Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My opinion as a long time Partition Magic user is to:
>
> 1) Use partition magic to do all of your partition setups. Don't let
> the SuSE install do anything but format them.
>
> 2) Make partitions for /boot, /home, swap, and '/' (four)
>
> 3) The purpose for /home being separate is that you can 'carry it
> forward' to the next version of <whatever distro> of linux you
> install.

Ok thanks and what about the partition for a fat32 shared folder and
then the partition to condense XP unto (I hopefully won't have to
re-install XP). So basically with 40GB how would you recommend I set it
up? I won't really need a lot of space on windows since it will mostly
be just for games (although I guess some take up a lot of memory).
I was thinking

19 windows
6 for shared fat32 (mp3s, and other junk like OpenOffice docs, etc)
15 for linux

So then inside the 15 for linux I need to partition them into as you
mention above. What numbers should I use for that? Also when I install
linux does it know what partitions to put the different stuff on? (I'm
too stupid to know what to put in /boot /home etc. so will it do all
this for me?). I'm afraid I'm getting in over my head here and tomorrow
is not going to be a fun day:)

thanks for any more advice.
Rick