Re: [SLE] partition magic can it and advice?
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:39:37 -0500
On Thursday 21 November 2002 20:33 pm, Rick Reumann wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 02:17:15 +0100 (CET)
>
> Ole Kofoed Hansen <ole@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I hope you don't mean what you are saying here. You really do not
> > want to run Linux from a fat32 partition.
>
> Sorry I guess I meant just make it blank or whatever the default is
> for a clean empty partition.
>
> > A shared fat32 partition is a good idea. The actual sizes of your
> > partitions will depend heavily on the way you use the different
> > OSes. I can't see why it should be any more difficult to set up 3
> > partitions than 2.
> >
> > Like someone else on the list mentioned, you also want a swap
> > partition.
>
> What I'm confused about is in the users guide it mentions you
> can set up separate partitions for /opt, /home, /usr, etc. Do I need
> to do this? Should I do this? and if so do I use partition magic to do
> this or do I do this through the suse install on the empty partition?
> Do I use partition magic to make the swap partition also or will the
> suse installation ask me?
>
> Thanks again

My opinion as a long time Partition Magic user is to:

1) Use partition magic to do all of your partition setups. Don't let the
SuSE install do anything but format them.

2) Make partitions for /boot, /home, swap, and '/' (four)

3) The purpose for /home being separate is that you can 'carry it
forward' to the next version of <whatever distro> of linux you install.

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 11/21/02
20:37 +
"Borrow money from a pessimist - they don't expect it back."

< Previous Next >