Re: [SLE] partition magic can it and advice?
  • From: "Howard Coles Jr." <hcoles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 19:02:41 -0600
On Thursday 21 November 2002 06:45 pm, Rick Reumann wrote:
> My new computer is coming tomorrow pre-installed with XP professional.
> It's a 40GB hard drive and I want to keep XP installed on one partition
> and put Suse 8.1 professional on another partition as fat32. I'm pretty
> sure partition magic should be able to do this, but what about
> partitioning off a 3rd partition that is fat32 where both XP and linux
> could share things like mp3s from? Is it easy to set up three partitions
> like that or should I not even bother? I was thinking have 15GB Linux,
> 5GB shared fat32, and the other 20GB kept with XP on it?

You could set it up that way, and mount the fat32 partition as /download or
whatever in Linux, and d: in XP.

Just make sure you allot enough for Linux to have a separate swap partition,
this could either be in an extended partition or primary.
Also make sure you have PM 8, if you partition the drive after converting it
to NTFS, because of the version of NTFS that XP lays down, or at least the
version of the NTLDR doesn't work with PM 6 I know (had problems with that
recently :).

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

"The act of faith is the obedience of the understanding to God revealing, and
the product of that is the obedience of the will to God commanding."
Matthew Henry, on Romans 1:5