Re: [SLE] HD partition names
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjohNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 01:50:41 +0100
On Friday 22 November 2002 01.43, Tom Emerson wrote:
> While Anders's answer was a bit tongue-in-cheek (name it "donaldduck") it
>
> doesn't address your actual question:
> > does the label i give a partition with partition magic
> > matter, and if it does, do i need the / in front of it?

I think the above addresses the question

> I'm tempted to say "no, it doesn't matter", and take a further step to say
> that the initial "/" probably won't matter anyway -- as you've already
> alluded to, you do know how partitions are labeled so far as Linux is
> concerned (entries within /etc/fstab),

Partition labels have nothing to do with the file system on the partition. As
an example, when Red Hat's installer (or was it gentoo, I forget) partitions
your harddrive, it assigns the label ROOT to the root partition. You can then
use that label in lilo or grub instead of /dev/hdXX.

But as I said, it's just an identifier. It could be almost anything.

Anders