Re: [SLE] HD partition names
  • From: Tom Emerson <osnut@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:43:00 -0800
On Thursday 21 November 2002 14:27, Michael L. Hallsted wrote:
> hello,
>
> i've got a new, blank hard drive, and i was going
> to pop in a DOS boot floppy and use partiton magic
> to pre format the hard drive for linux, instead of
> letting the install program do it automatically.
> ((i'm bored so i thought i would experiment))
>
> but partition magic will want a label name, and i had
> a moment of doubt, since i was unsure if the label name
> made a difference.

While Anders's answer was a bit tongue-in-cheek (name it "donaldduck") it
doesn't address your actual question:

> does the label i give a partition with partition magic
> matter, and if it does, do i need the / in front of it?

I'm tempted to say "no, it doesn't matter", and take a further step to say
that the initial "/" probably won't matter anyway -- as you've already
alluded to, you do know how partitions are labeled so far as Linux is
concerned (entries within /etc/fstab), so the question remains, what of
"partition magic's" name for the partition? This is where I'm getting
tripped up too becuase I can't see why PM would be asking for a name (volume
label) for a non-FAT partition -- are you sure PM does indeed ask for a
"name" for linux partitions? (or are you planning on running linux on a FAT
filesystem? I hope not, but I have to ask, if for no other reason than to
point out the incongruity... :) )

Tom