Re: [SLE] can not connect to internet ,or, it just connects as root ,or, /etc/resolv.conf is missing (error-KPPP)
  • From: Franklin Maurer <nebbish@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 21 Nov 2002 16:36:52 -0500
On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 09:59, Adagilson B B da Silva wrote:

> ------------------first error-----------------------
> (openning KPPP)
> [error-KPPP]
> /etc/resolv.conf is missing or can't be read!
> Ask your system administrator to create this file (can be empty) with
> appropriate read and write permissions.
> [OK]

/etc/resolv.conf holds the nameservers.
touch /etc/resolv.conf
then add the ip addresses of your nameservers.
the permissions for mine are set to 644, rw r r, not sure if thst's
right but it works.

> --------------second error------------------
> (connecting to:)
> Sorry, can't create modem lock file
>
> Sorry, even with the first error (trying to open KPPP) I resolved to
> configure my dialer to call my ISP -and it was done- but the second
> error appeared when calling.
>
> should it be the fact that my login name doesn't have the "power" to
> write some logs? or to certain directories? Shoul I gain ample powers to me?
>
> Any help?
> a.

Try setting the set uid bit on /usr/sbin/pppd.
i can't remember if you have to do the same with kppp.

If that doesn't work try kinternet or wvdial.
--
Franklin Maurer <nebbish@xxxxxxxxxxx>