Re: [SLE] question about software installation through YaST
  • From: Patrick <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:20:56 -0500
On Thursday 21 November 2002 01:56 am, Rick Reumann wrote:
> This is probably a dumb question but something has be stumped...
>
> I go to the YaST control center and go to "install remove software."
> I click on all the boxes for the different packages on the left
> (except for a few ..games, multimedia ) and click on "accept."
> Shouldn't this then install everything in those packages? What I
> don't understand is, for example, if I look on the right side under
> the "All of KDE" package everything is checked but yet on the left
> the "all of KDE" package is unchecked. All I have check boxes for on
> the left is "Graphical Base System","KDE Desktop Environment", "Help
> and Support.." and "Office apps." Why when I click others on the left
> and click accept do these others not end up with checkboxes? Does it
> mean not everything got installed? Also do I have to change the
> checkboxed applications do the update icon in order to make sure they
> get updated to the latest versions? or does that happen automatically
> when I run online update?
>
> Thanks for any help.
> (using 8.1 pro)

Rick
Unless something has changed that I am not aware of, the YOU (Yast
Online Update) checks your system for the programs installed and
updates those automatically from the update directory. You should not
have to select any files if you are doing an automatic update. You can
of course still do a manual selection as well though.

Patrick
Registered Linux User #225206