first connection to internetc using pctel
  • From: Adagilson B B da Silva <adagilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:30:26 -0200
Yesterday, after had read "PCTel HSP MicroModem Configuration
mini-HOWTO" i've got to connnect to internet as root.
As a simple user, I logged in but the connection fails. The following
errors appeared to me:
------------------first error-----------------------
(openning KPPP)
[error-KPPP]
/etc/resolv.conf is missing or can't be read!
Ask your system administrator to create this file (can be empty) with
appropriate read and write permissions.
[OK]

--------------second error------------------
(connecting to:)
Sorry, can't create modem lock file

Sorry, even with the first error (trying to open KPPP) I resolved to configure my dialer to call my ISP -and it was done- but the second error appeared when calling.

should it be the fact that my login name doesn't have the "power" to write some logs? or to certain directories? Shoul I gain ample powers to me?

Any help?
a.

Ps-user1 (it's me) and user2 (it is my wife) want connection to internet as ROOT has.

--
Adagilson Batista Bispo da Silva
Bibliotecário