User/Root Questions - SuSE 8.1
  • From: Hilary Hertzoff <hhertzof@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 08:48:13 -0500
I've been using SuSE since 6.4, but I always logged in as root, knowing it
wasn't the safest arrangement. I was the only one using the computer, and
too lazy to set up a user to my liking. Shortly before 8.1 was released, I
had a computer crash, so that I was starting over from scratch with 8.1, so I
decided to do it properly and only use root for configuring things. And
that's where I ran into problems

Problem 1: I'd like to be able to access the same mail/mailboxes under both
root and my user. Is there a way to do this? I'd also like any additional
software installed under root to be accessable to the user if possible.

Problem 2: I've downloaded a couple of programs from the internet. Despite
changing their attributes to execute, the root bash shell does not recognize
them as programs. Any ideas?

Thanks
Hilary

< Previous Next >