Setting up a client for a CUPS printer
  • From: "Rafael E. Herrera" <raffo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 19:39:05 -0500
I have updated two machines in the office with SuSE 8.1. One has a postscript printer attached to the parallel port and configured through Yast2 with CUPS. Printing works in that machine.

Setting printing on the other machine (the client) is another story. I can't figure out what to select in Yast2 to print on the CUPS server. I've been trying all possible combinations: LPD does not work, I don't know what the hell URI is; CUPS Class? what is that?

I could read the whole CUPS manual, but, come on! with the old LPD, it was hostname, queue name and I was printing.

Couldn't this interface be simpler to configure? I know the hostname/IP where the CUPS server is installed and also know the name of the queue. Shouldn't that be enough to detect and configure the client computer?

Has anybody been successfull setting his/her computers to print with CUPS? if so have, have you used YAST2?

I'll just have to read the CUPS manual and do it in the command line. grrr.
--
Rafael