Re: re[2]: [SLE] SuSE machine haging with blinking leds
  • From: "Doug Glenn" <dglenn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 13:09:09 -0500
On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 06:10:41 -0800 (PST)>> * Doug Glenn (dglenn@xxxxxxxxxxx) [021114 18:30]:
> They even have kernel hacking enabled in the installed kernel and source!

I assume you mean the sysreq magic ("kernel hacking" isn't an option)? What's wrong with that? You have to explicitly enable sysreq in /proc/sys/kernel/sysreq.

Perhaps I mistated the exact tab name in Xconfig, but there is a tab labeled something like that and the functions are enabled on the default kernel.

> I have not been happy with the quality of this kernel at all. I had to
> install the stock source code in order to compile without the power
> management selections on without getting an error.

So you have a buggy bios and it means the SuSE kernel sucks?
Interesting.

I never said that at all :) I said I was not happy with the quality. I used the .19 kernel from Gentoo and did not experiance this issue using that distro. (1.2... the 1.4rc1 is not working well at the moment either <smile>)

Lets say for the sake of argument that the ACPI/APM code in my BIOS is defunct (worked with 8.0 fine). My only options are to disable that code and recompile the kernel. Unfortunately you cannot do that. QC should have caught that because that os the only other option available if the power management functions don't work properly. So they should have anticipated that. I have posted the exact error I recieve and no one has come up with a workaround, so I am somewhat out of luck using the optimized Suse kernel.
That is simply the facts of the matter. I think having the advanced power management code is wonderful for those whom it works for. For those like myself where it is not, then our option of turning it off and recompiling should work as well. Unfortunately it looks like it got missed.
If you have a workaround, I'm more than ready to give it a shot!
Doug