Have a VIA chipset? Re: [SLE] SuSE machine haging with blinking leds
  • From: Joe Sullivan <firechild@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 13:00:49 +0100
On Friday 15 November 2002 10:09, Bo Jacobsen wrote:
> We have the same problem with Chaintech 7SID motherboards when installing
> SuSE 8.0, but in 7.2 and 7.3 the installation works as expected. In 8.1 the
> system hangs when the installation is about to install files (or sometimes
> when trying to format the harddisk). With these boards we have not yet been
> to install SuSE at all.

Not sure who all this applies to, but if you have anything by VIA on your
board, chances are the kernel panics (machine hanging/blinking LEDs) will be
fixed by using Mantel's kernel build. It has a VIA Southbridge fix in it.

I had kernel panics with 8.1, and installing Mantel's kernel build with the
VIA fix stopped this. Now running over 2 weeks with no problem.

I was able to get an install complete, and it would run for at least 15
minutes before the kernel panic. So I started the computer, installed
Mantel's kernel build which I'd already downloaded. Ran "mk_initrd", then
rebooted. (Using Grub. If using Lilo, run "lilo" as well of course.)

ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.suse.com/pub/people/mantel/next/RPM/
Several RPMs there. Download the one right for you. ;-)

Even if you don't have anything VIA in your computer, give his build a try.
That's not the only fix done in those kernel builds.

Later,
Joe