Re: [SLE] SuSE machine haging with blinking leds
  • From: Cees van de Griend <cees-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 19:56:03 +0100
On Thursday 14 November 2002 17:08, Claudia Goldbrunner wrote:

> Hmm, we also had this problem on several PCs. But they are all SuSE 7.3
> Prof. We only figgured out that this problem seems to be connected to MSI
> Motherboards.

I had a brand new and fancy MSI K7T266 Pro2-RU replaced by a simple ASUS
A7S333 motherboard.

The MSI had problems with IDE. Just before a lock up, I could sometime see
that the kernel tried to reset the IDE channel of my HD, but failed to do so.
After the lock up, the Caps-Lock and Num-Lock leds were blinking simultanious,
never the Scroll-Lock led.

It also had problems with my IDE DVD and CDRW. For instance, SuSE 8.1 failed
to install with this motherboard. After installing some packages, it failed
to read and install a lot other packages. In my log files I could see a lot of
error messages, something like 'hdX unsupported command'.

After I had replaced the motherboard, almost as cheap as an extra PCI IDE
controller, my system works as it should, i.e. an almost constant uptime.
I just had 2 X Windows lockups during useage of Konqeror.

Regards,
Cees.