Re: [SLE] SuSE machine haging with blinking leds
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 03:02:51 +0100 (CET)

The 02.11.13 at 20:51, Doug Glenn wrote:

> > Another suspect are the nvidia drivers: I'm sticking to the open
> > source version for the moment, at least while I don't install
> > flightgear :-)
>
> I've ruled those out since it occurs no matter if I use "nv" or nvidia
> drivers. I even downloaded and installed from nvidia.com in case it was

Well, that's good to know, in the sense that they are not the clprit this
time; but bad because we don't know what is the problem.

> a fault with the Suse install. No changes. It will lockup within 8-16
> hours in X without fail,

I don't think I have had this machine on so long, it is a home system. One
crash was 5 minutes after starting, wroking in text mode, another was 4 or
6 hours.

> or within minutes of trying to convert video
> from avi to mp3 no matter what tool I use. (using either nv or nvidia).

That I have not tried.

> I've lost my paritions a couple of times now and reloaded. I backup
> almost hourly now while I am trying to suss it out.

Ugh.

> > It has been said here to try to mount reiserfs partitions with the
> > option "barrier=none", but I have not found documentation on what
> > does that mean/do. Interestingly, when my machine crash, the hd led
> > is on continously.
>
> Mine also. And if I use ext3 partitions, unrecoverable each time.
> Reiserfs has errors, but it will take it a couple times before giving
> up the ghost.

Did you try that barrier option? Do you know something about it? I found
no info in the reiserfs.org site.

> I'd go back to 8.0 but I already gave my disks to a friend :(

Well, my 8.1 is workable. I'm watching it...

Except I can not get usb working, and it did perfectly in 7.3

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson