Re: [SLE] SuSE machine haging with blinking leds
  • From: Doug Glenn <dglenn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 20:51:41 -0500
On Wednesday 13 November 2002 20:13, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> Yes, I had that problem in suse 7.3 with kernel 2.4.4 or 10, I don't

That sounds about right for me as well.

> Now, with suse 8.1 I have both APIC and ACPI enabled (have a look at
> http://www.suse.de/en/private/products/suse_linux/i386/acpi.html, it
> is very interesting), and seems to work well, except that I had three
> crashes (one in text mode using golded).

I've seen it as well. I've been fighting this since I got my copy 3
weeks ago :(.

> Another suspect are the nvidia drivers: I'm sticking to the open
> source version for the moment, at least while I don't install
> flightgear :-)

I've ruled those out since it occurs no matter if I use "nv" or nvidia
drivers. I even downloaded and installed from nvidia.com in case it was
a fault with the Suse install. No changes. It will lockup within 8-16
hours in X without fail, or within minutes of trying to convert video
from avi to mp3 no matter what tool I use. (using either nv or nvidia).
I've lost my paritions a couple of times now and reloaded. I backup
almost hourly now while I am trying to suss it out.

> It has been said here to try to mount reiserfs partitions with the
> option "barrier=none", but I have not found documentation on what
> does that mean/do. Interestingly, when my machine crash, the hd led
> is on continously.

Mine also. And if I use ext3 partitions, unrecoverable each time.
Reiserfs has errors, but it will take it a couple times before giving
up the ghost.

I'd go back to 8.0 but I already gave my disks to a friend :(

Doug