Re: [SLE] SuSE machine haging with blinking leds
  • From: Fergus Wilde <fwilde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:40:52 +0000
Ben Rosenberg wrote:

> * Christian Andersson (chrisand@xxxxxxxxx) [021107 14:11]:
> ->
> ->It happens now and then that our SuSE-8.1 server (P4-2.4G, 1G, 160G, G550)
> ->hangs heavily with Caps Lock and Scroll Lock flashing. Does anyone on the
> ->list know what could be the reason for such a behavior? I'm a bit suspicious
> ->about the temperature in the box.
>
> My AMD box did this with 8.1 and the only thing that I could find that
> might be the cause was a bios conflict. I returned to 8.0 then I was
> told it was a bios issue. I haven't tried 8.1 again yet. I didn't think
> it was CPU temp because I put this massive CPU cooler on and put a
> 7200rpm fan in the case. Along with a 480W power supply to handle all of
> it. With the new CPU cooler the CPU is about 10C cooler then it was with
> the old fan...
>
> It's odd because 8.0 works perfectly with this machine. I may try 8.1
> again with the new bios..don't know.
>
> You may want to check the bios revision your machine has...it could be
> the cause. I'm leaning toward blaming the .19 kernel's interaction with
> the bios of certain machines.

I live in Manchester, England, where overheating is scarcely a problem,
and unfortunately have had a couple of the hard locks you describe
(lights, etc) on previously immaculately reliable hardware. I pounded
the RAM for several hours with memtest86 without it showing any sign of
faults. It is a complete hard lock, keyboard, ssh access from other
machines, etc., all gone. However, I'll check to see if there are
further BIOS revisions available for the mainboard. The locks don't
appear to me to have been associated with load.

Cheers all
Fergus