Re: [SLE] OpenOffice in 8.0 (was [SLE] Time Has Come For Microsoft Settlement(OT))
  • From: Thibaut Cousin <cousin@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 18:06:13 +0100

Le Mardi 12 Novembre 2002 17:56, Darrell Cormier a écrit :
> >> Just download it from openoffice.org.
> >> Much as I like SuSE I'm not going to buy 8.1 pro just for 1 app.
> >> Everything else works just as I need on 8.0.
> >
> > So I finally decided to give it a try. I just finished downloading.
> > The installation instructions said there are two phases and I completed
> > phase 1 with no trouble. I tried to do phase 2 in a user account but
> > it says
> > there is no Java runtime which seems strange to me. I typed the command
> > which java and I get /usr/lib/java/bin/java
>
> I was able to get OpenOffice to recognize the java that is on my system.
> I don't remember if I loaded another version of java or not. The
> installation is looking for the jre (Java Runtime Environment). On my
> system it is located at:
> /usr/lib/SunJava2-1.3.1/jre
> The Open Office install then showed this as rcognized and then continued
> and completed the installation. I have not had any other problems.
>
> You might do a `locate jre |grep java` and see what you get.

OpenOffice recognizes only the Sun version of Java2 (no IBM). Which one do
you have?

- - the Sun package is called "java2"
- - the IBM package is called "IBMJava2-JRE" or "IBMJava2-SDK"

if I remember correctly. In any case, don't worry too much. I think Java is
only used for applets in SImpress, which is not common.

- --
Thibaut Cousin
E-mail : cousin@xxxxxxxx
Web : http://clrwww.in2p3.fr