Re: [SLE] mail server
On Thu, 2002-11-07 at 13:22, Anders Johansson wrote:

On Thursday 07 November 2002 23.58, steve wrote:
> Can we use Yast2 to setup a mail server to replace our isp and handle the
> mail by ourselves instead=? We are using smtp to send and pop to recieve at
> the moment. If not, can anyone point us in the right direction?
> Thanks, Steve.

Assuming you have your own domain with real IP numbers and can get your ISP to
set the MX records to point to your server, setting up a basic mail server is
fairly easy. The default SuSE install of postfix or sendmail will get you the
basic mail services and a relatively secure setup. All you have to do is tell
the server what domain it services.

On that note...let's say my company currently goes thru our website host
to get mail. Can I tell the host to re-direct all email to my server
(which has a real IP) and we can get mail that way? My problem is that
our site host's email SUCKS! At least 2 or 3 times a day we experience a
problem with getting or sending email. Can tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx which now
goes to my host's pop server, be sent to my mail server without my host
ever touching it? I want to make sure that if I go thru all this work, I
won't be dependent on my host.

Does this make sense.

Tom
--