Re: [SLE] mail server
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 22:22:21 +0100
On Thursday 07 November 2002 23.58, steve wrote:
> Can we use Yast2 to setup a mail server to replace our isp and handle the
> mail by ourselves instead=? We are using smtp to send and pop to recieve at
> the moment. If not, can anyone point us in the right direction?
> Thanks, Steve.

Assuming you have your own domain with real IP numbers and can get your ISP to
set the MX records to point to your server, setting up a basic mail server is
fairly easy. The default SuSE install of postfix or sendmail will get you the
basic mail services and a relatively secure setup. All you have to do is tell
the server what domain it services.

Depending on how many features you want/need the time it takes to install can
vary, I'm thinking about things like encrypted smtp authentication, spam
handling, but a basic "send and recieve" server can be up and running very
quickly.

You will have to add users somehow, real or virtual. You can add "real" unix
accounts for each of the users, or you can use something like cyrus-imap and
go with purely virtual user accounts (no unix login, just mail).

Set it up on a test box first though. You don't want to go "live" before
you've made sure everything works properly. A lot of people seem to miss that
point.

Anders