Re: [SLE] GTK?
  • From: Ben Rosenberg <ben@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 11:27:06 -0800
* Anders Johansson (andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx) [021107 11:11]:
->On Thursday 07 November 2002 16.03, Thibaut Cousin wrote:
->> --force tells RPM to overwrite files and packages and *also* to ignore
->> dependency problems. It is extremely dangerous.
->
->Actually no. --force is a synonym for "--replacefiles --replacepkgs
->--oldpackage". It still takes dependencies into account, that is why you see
->so many people advocating "--nodeps --force".
->
->I agree that it's extremely dangerous though

Yes, in some cases you can end up with 2 pkg names in the RPM db. As
most of you've noticed this question on the list.

RPM kept puking on itself when I had to return to 8.0 from 8.1 because
there were 1.2G of updates. It would get about 1/2 way done with the
update..so I added the --force to the equation and had to spend the next
2 days removing duplicate names out of the RPM db. Let me say this it
was absolutely no fun at all. Be very sure of what your doing with
--force or you could just give yourself a giant headache.

--
Ben Rosenberg ---===---===---===--- mailto:ben@xxxxxxxxx
Tell me what you believe..

< Previous Next >