Re: [SLE] Manual Installation Procedures
  • From: Tony Alfrey <tonyalfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 09:11:41 -0800
On Thursday 07 November 2002 08:51 am, Fancher, Mark (GEAE) wrote:
> All:
>
> Another newbie question.
>
> When I manually install a program, I use the following procedure:
>
> * Download the program.tar.gz to my desktop
> * Open bash and cd to the desktop
> * logon as superuser using 'su'
> * gunzip program.tar.gz
> * tar program.tar
> * cd /program directory
> * ./configure
> * make
> * make install
>
> I wanted to find out if this was the correct procedure. I'm curious
> about two things:
>
> * Does it matter where you put the .tar.gz file to start with? Is
> the desktop OK?

It can matter depending on the package. Usually, unpacking the archive
creates a new directory containing everything. But sometimes, the
package unpacks to a zillion individual pieces in the directory where
the archive sits, making a mess to clean up.
I always make a new empty directory with some name identifying the
package, put the package there and unpack from within the new
directory. There is a Unix convention about using /usr/local/src for
this sort of thing but this is a matter of taste. I suggest always
think "Can I undestructively undo what I am about to do?"

> * After you ./configure, make and make install, can you delete the
> program directory created by tar? I'm thinking that the program is
> migrated to the proper places after ./configure, make, make install.

Yes, but I would at least keep the ~.tar around for awhile until you
are absolutely sure things work. You might need to reconfigure and
change switches. This often happens. Make backups. And I never do a
final clean-up on compiling something like kde until it's all
finished, installed, working, tested and crash-free. If you are
worried about disk space, get a bigger hard disk. A big hard disk is
cheaper than a few hours of struggle.
My $.02

--
Tony Alfrey