Manual Installation Procedures
  • From: "Fancher, Mark (GEAE)" <Mark.Fancher@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 11:51:25 -0500
All:

Another newbie question.

When I manually install a program, I use the following procedure:

* Download the program.tar.gz to my desktop
* Open bash and cd to the desktop
* logon as superuser using 'su'
* gunzip program.tar.gz
* tar program.tar
* cd /program directory
* ./configure
* make
* make install

I wanted to find out if this was the correct procedure. I'm curious about two
things:

* Does it matter where you put the .tar.gz file to start with? Is the
desktop OK?
* After you ./configure, make and make install, can you delete the program
directory created by tar? I'm thinking that the program is migrated to the
proper places after ./configure, make, make install.

Mark

< Previous Next >