Re: [SLE] directway satellite
  • From: Clayton Cornell <c.cornell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 16:50:46 +0100
On Thursday 07 November 2002 13:55, h g wrote:
> I'm supposed to have the Directway sat system installed today. This system
> is USB only and the present software only runs under Windows. The Apple OSX
> version is supposed to be released shortly.
> Has anyone installed this system under linux using wine or some other
> technique?

What modems do you have? (The external boxes that sit between your satellite
and computer)

I went through setting up a satellite system this summer. The site that it
was installed at has a Linux server with various machines hanging off it as
clients running WinXP or Linux. There were absolutely no Linux drivers for
the USB modems. I did find one company that has developed a router/firewall
for the system - oddly enough it's a Linux system internally. Problem is the
price was VERY high.

The end solution was to drop in a stripped down Windows machien to act as the
gateway so to speak. It only had enough installed to activate the USB modems
and provide networking services to the main server. It was the only solution
we could come up with at the time.

C.