Re: [SLE] GTK?
  • From: Thibaut Cousin <cousin@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 16:08:54 +0100

Le Jeudi 7 Novembre 2002 15:56, James Ogley a écrit :
> > Also, be careful that GTK2 doesn't overwrite some parts of GTK1. The
> > packages from SuSE 8.1 are all right, but they are compiled with gcc3, so
> > I don't know how good they work on 8.0.
>
> Pretty much a bad idea to try I would say, unless you have a
> 'sacrificial' machine you don't mind screwing up first ;)

Honestly, I would give it a try because most problems with gcc 2->3 were
with C++ and GTK2 is written in C. If the package wants to overwrite files
from other packages, give up. If the only problems are with dependencies,
maybe it can be solved.

But first : if you're using 8.0, why don't you take the GTK2 package made
for SuSE 8.0 and provided by SuSE? You can find it at

ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/ftp.suse.com/suse/i386/supplementary/GNOME2/update_for_8.0/base

If this can spare you a headache or three...

- --
Thibaut Cousin
E-mail : cousin@xxxxxxxx
Web : http://clrwww.in2p3.fr