Re: [SLE] GTK?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 15:53:32 +0100
On Thursday 07 November 2002 15.46, Donald Grayson wrote:
> Well, I suppose we could all recompile our OS from scratch just because one
> program we want needs a couple of libs that nothing else on our system
> touches.

Where did that come from?

> Or I suppose installing the entire Gnome2 suite to take advantage
> of a single program is the safest choice.

If those gtk libs really can do useful things without the packages listed as
dependencies, then they are misbuilt. Nothing more, nothing less. A
dependency list for an rpm should list those packages it needs to function,
no more. Complain to the package maintainer otherwise.

> In this case, however, he wants to run one package, that package needs a
> few libs from GTK2. If nothing else on his sytem requires GTK2 and they're
> only being installed to support the package he does intend on running, I
> see nothing wrong with forcing rpm to install those libs without their
> dependencies.

--force has nothing whatever to do with dependencies. --force tells rpm that
if the rpm you're trying to install wants to overwrite files from other rpms,
let it. That is *not* a good idea.

As James said, if you *really* know what you're doing, use --nodeps to install
an rpm. Some rpms have truly messed up dependency lists, so on occasion that
can be useful - again, only if you *really* know what you're doing, and then
don't come crying if things don't work.

But *never* use --force

Anders